Researcher Profile: Ida Tornvall

31 Jul 2024

Where do you currently work and what is your field of research?
I have just started a new role as Project Manager for a newly awarded NHMRC partnership project called “A Digital Frailty Index for Acute Care Settings in Queensland”, led by CIA Prof Ruth Hubbard. I have worked part-time as a research assistant for Prof Hubbard’s team for three years whilst doing my PhD, so I was thrilled when this opportunity came up just as I submitted my thesis!

What inspired you to pursue this field? 
I actually wanted to be a journalist growing up, but I’ve always been involved in some form of health, sports, or fitness so I initially studied a double bachelor in Public Health and Media & Communication, as I thought that was a good mix of my two interests. Since journalism is having a crisis whilst the health industries are thriving, it turned out to be a good choice.

After my undergrad, I worked in health publishing for a few years, before I came across an HDR opportunity at UQ.

Why did you choose to pursue your research at UQ?
I found an exciting MPhil opportunity that investigated the use of a smartphone-supported model of care for people with type 2 diabetes. I thought this sounded like an interesting mix of healthcare and information technology, so I applied, and later transferred to a PhD.

What is your latest project or area of interest?
In my new role I’m learning a lot about health informatics, which is fairly new to me – and I find it super interesting!  

Where do you see your career heading in the next few years?
Since I have just embarked on a five-year grant project, I’m keen to see how this project evolves and shapes up. I anticipate that this project will significantly contribute to my professional growth and expertise in health informatics. 

Which challenges have you faced along the way?
Dealing with red tape and long timelines. There is plenty of room for improvement in a lot of our systems. 

What has been your most memorable or proud moment to date?
I have been fortunate to have had a lot of exciting moments already; I was a co-author on Prof Hubbard’s famous Marvel paper. And I was invited to do a presentation in the Science Tent at Splendour in The Grass 2023.
Most recently I presented results from my PhD at a digital health conference in Vancouver (supported by a CHSR travel grant). The presentation went really well and sparked some interesting discussions, and the conference was fantastic in general. 
After the conference I was able to take a few days’ leave, so I headed straight for the mountains. The fresh air and gorgeous views provided the perfect environment to decompress before returning to Brisbane to prepare for my thesis defence. 
My trip to Canada left me feeling both relaxed and excited about what’s next, so it was a really nice way to both wrap up my PhD journey and to kick off the next step in my career.

What advice would you give to someone pursuing a similar career?
When you’re new – spend time in the office! I’m a huge fan of flexible work arrangements and the ability to work from home, but those micro-interactions you get in-person are invaluable – particularly when you’re a PhD student who may feel a bit lost. In the office you have direct access to experts in the field, and to students who are in the same boat as you.

What is something you enjoy doing outside of work? 
Unfortunately, I’m one of those annoying outdoors-and-active people who enjoys an early morning run or gym session. In recent years I’ve also revived my childhood dream of becoming a professional equestrian. Safe to say I won’t be quitting my job anytime soon, but I do love spending time with the horses.